Episode 85: The New Psych 101 w/ Dr. Bryan Violette & Amy Grace Miller (Certification Series: Part 2 of 12)
Manage episode 336444729 series 2869262
Welcome to Episode 85 of the Being Human Podcast: The New Psych 101 w/ Dr. Bryan Violette and Amy Grace Miller (Certification Series: Part 2 of 12)
The second episode of our new 12-part series introducing each course of our certification! This week Dr. Greg changes it up by welcoming past podcast guests Dr. Bryan Violette and Amy Grace Miller back to the show for a roundtable conversation about psychological theories and how our certification brings together those most consistent with a Catholic anthropology.
Discussed in this episode:
- The lack of a shared philosophical foundation in the field of psychology and the need for anthropology as a lens through which we can view the psychological sciences;
- An overview of the development of various psychological theories;
- Why psychodynamic interpersonal theory is foundational to our model;
- Research in the field of psychology as skewed by specific agendas and ideologies;
- Relational templates formed in childhood and the ways they are projected onto other relationships;
- The work of Harry Stack Sullivan and his relational stages of development;
- Limitations of both IFS theory and the research of John Gottman;
- Ethics in psychology and the importance of self-awareness when helping others in this field.
Resources mentioned or relevant:
- Harry Stack Sullivan - Interpersonal Theory and Psychotherapy
- Edward Teyber’s Interpersonal Process in Psychotherapy
- The Gottman Institute - Research on Marriage and Couples
- Dr. Richard Schwartz - Internal Family Systems (IFS) Institute
- Register for a future Open House to learn more about the new certification!
- Sign up for Being Human, our weekly newsletter, to stay up to date on the exciting developments at CatholicPsych;
- Learn about IDDM (Mentorship), our new model of accompaniment;
- Need help? Schedule a free 15-minute consultation call with our staff to discuss how we can support you!
- Become a member of the Integrated Life Community to get access to every course Dr. Greg has created, AND the opportunity to participate in Integrated Life Intensives: time-limited, group experiences covering topics like boundaries, communication, trauma, forgiveness, and more!
- Download The Integrated App for access to free audio exercises, the Catholic Mindfulness Virtual Retreat, courses, prayer resources, and more;
- Visit our website to read the CatholicPsych blog, shop in the CatholicPsych bookshop, or discover other resources we have available.
Contact us! Have a topic or a question you would like Dr. Greg to address on the podcast? Want to give some feedback about this episode? Email us at email@example.com - we would love to hear from you!
Rate, review, and subscribe
Please help us in our mission to integrate the Faith with Psychology by hitting subscribe and also sharing this podcast with your friends.
Please consider rating or leaving a review of our show. It helps us reach other Catholics just like you who want to become more integrated, whole, and happy human beings.
For Apple podcasts, click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate 5 stars, and choose “write a review.” Then type your sincere thoughts about the show!
If you haven’t already, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on any episodes. Subscribe to the podcast now!