Manage episode 276228865 series 2471556
How do stuntpeople make fight scenes in action films look so real?
Veteran stuntman Cale Schultz shares his journey from studying electrical engineering to working on major action films from John Wick to Birds of Prey in this cinematic Living 4D conversation.
- Cale’s most recognizable role and his favorite fight scene in the first John Wick film. (4:14)
- “I still have a little bit of the Incredible Hulk inside me, but as I’m growing and learning that takes way more energy.” (12:25)
- Is a new Highlander series coming? (25:14)
- Cale earned a degree in electrical engineering at Penn State, and never imagined having a film career. (31:21)
- The universe tells Cale to make a change, and he finally listens... (41:42)
- Chad Stahelski pushed Cale to learn judo at 35. (49:46)
- The real philosophy behind stunt work: Rehearse it repeatedly, so it’s safe as the stunt can be and it looks awesome. (1:04:58)
- “Stunt work is more like a dance than a fight.” (1:10:29)
- Some actors like Keanu Reeves put in the time to create authenticity to the physical demands of action films, but others don’t. (1:24:00)
- Cale appreciates the simplicity of living while working on Logan in Chama, N.M. (1:31:32)
- Cale finished his work on The Matrix 4 just before the COVID-19 shutdown in California. (1:43:58)
- Share all of your beliefs openly and make the best life choices. (2:04:36)
- Cale’s dilemma about working in the film industry. (2:31:28)
- Will CGI replace human actors in films? (2:36:23)
- Bringing good martial arts choreography to American films. (2:43:46)
- Product placements help films like Atomic Blonde get made. (2:45:06)
- The streaming movement. (2:52:44)
- A gym anywhere in the world is Cale’s happy place. (3:03:14)
More resources for this episode are available on our website.
Thanks to our awesome sponsors: Organifi (save 20 percent on your purchase by using the code CHEK20 at checkout), Paleovalley (save 15 percent on your purchase by using the code chek15 at checkout), BiOptimizers (save on Magnesium Breakthrough and other select products during November at this link), Cymbiotika (save 15 percent on your purchase by using the code CHEK15 at checkout), One Farm CBD Oils (save 15 percent on your purchase by using the code CHEK at checkout) and Essential Oil Wizardry (save 10 percent on your purchase by using the code living4d at checkout).
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases.