Manage episode 285107620 series 2471556
How do you find God in a world with so many religions, and all of them claim to know everything?
Jungian analyst Jason E. Smith describes a holistic path and discusses his book, Religious But Not Religious, in this very Jungian Living 4D conversation.
- The gift of a Joseph Campbell book ignited Jason’s exploration into all things Carl Jung. (6:29)
- “A human life is too short for learning how to live a human life.” (14:15)
- Viewing religion and the universe through wonder and awe and enjoying the mystery rather than making the world conform rationally. (27:20)
- Differentiation and separation from the collective. (42:50)
- Holding on too tightly to your belief in God may mean a lack of trust of faith in that Higher Power. (58:13)
- Does the absence of emptiness mean we’re not alone? (1:07:46)
- How organized movements in religion and science push people further away from what’s larger than ourselves. (1:17:16)
- What being a Jungian means to Jason. (1:28:21)
- The pursuit of pleasure in the material world just isn’t enough for most of us. (1:38:57)
- “From another perspective — utilitarian or economic — there's nothing more useless than wisdom.” (1:51:10)
- “The individual is never the same as the statistic.” (2:08:59)
- Religion as a fixed thing, not an experience. (2:20:00)
- The relevance and origins of myth. (2:26:15)
- The mystical vs. the numinous vs. the transpersonal. (2:39:13)
- “God is not an answer to any question. God is the ultimate question…” (2:46:42)
- The Portable Jung edited by Joseph Campbell
- From Science to God by Peter Russell
- Alone With The Alone by Henry Corbin
- The Reenchantment of the World by Morris Berman
- Paul’s Living 4D conversations with James Carse and Dr. Jeffrey Mishlove
More resources for this episode are available on our website.
Thanks to our awesome sponsors: Organifi (save 20 percent on your purchase by using the code CHEK20 at checkout), Paleovalley (save 15 percent on your purchase by using the code chek15 at checkout), BiOptimizers (save 10 percent on your purchase by using the code paul10 at checkout), Cymbiotika (save 15 percent on your purchase by using the code CHEK15 at checkout), One Farm CBD Oils (save 15 percent on your purchase by using the code CHEK at checkout) and Essential Oil Wizardry (save 10 percent on your purchase by using the code living4d at checkout).
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases.