Manage episode 365452845 series 3234219
How to decide whether to rent a house or apartment or purchase a home or condo. What has been the financial return from owning a house?
Topics covered include:
- How much have home prices increased in major cities since 1980
- What drove the greater than 50% jump in home prices in some U.S. cities since 2020
- Why there aren't more new starter homes
- What will it take for the housing shortage to abate so houses can be more affordable
- Why now could be a more advantageous time to rent versus buy
- What academics estimate the long-term return is for owning a house, and why the calculations are incomplete
- How to determine what your total cost of ownership is for buying a house in order to compare it to renting
For more information on this episode click here.
Use code MONEY10 to get 10% off on your NAPA Autoparts online order.
Insiders Guide Email Newsletter