Manage episode 349567847 series 2469771
Find full show notes and links at: https://gocamp.pro/day-camp-pod/incentivizing-staff
Front-line workers have certainly felt the pressure these past couple of years. Tune in to hear Ross and Adam’s tips on encouraging staff to keep coming back!
Once upon a time, there were day camp staff that worked the full season, full days, and missing time was a rare occurrence. Today - not so much. With the front-line staff reckoning of the past few years, getting our staff to just show up every day has become more and more of a chore.
Today, we explore some proactive initiatives being taken by two of the most creative minds in our field, Ross Coleman and Adam Wallach - THIS is the Day Camp Pod!
Do you read the show notes? Let us know - click the following link to receive 10% off a lifetime subscription of Go Camp Pro's 5-Minute Fridays. (psst. Even if you don't buy anything, clicking this link will still help!)
(click here - https://bit.ly/pod-notes-discount)
If you love the Day Camp Pod, we would be grateful if you subscribed and left us a review. It’s SUPER easy, too! Just head to http://ratethispodcast.com/dcp
- Andy Pritikin, Owner/Director - Liberty Lake Day Camp
- Sam Thompson, Recreation Supervisor - Crystal Lake Park District
- Ross Coleman, Owner/Director - Coleman Country Day Camp
- Adam Wallach, Owner/Director - Mohawk Day Camp
NOTES AND IDEAS FROM ROSS AND ADAM:
- We started a weekly attendance raffle in 2021. You are eligible if you do not miss any time the week prior. If you are late, leave early, absent, etc you are not eligible for the drawing.
- Those eligible have their names put into our raffle bucket and we pick two winners each Monday morning. I announced the two winners on our camp PA at 9:30 each Monday. Each winner receives $500 on the spot.
- There was no mention of money or attendance when I did the announcements. It was framed as the winner of our staff raffle. We saw a significant drop in staff asking to leave for the doctor, road test, etc. It was also a very exciting moment each Monday when we did the announcement.
- As we increased and adjusted salaries this year, we essentially made $400 of the total salary a bonus. The $400 could be earned at $50 per week. The criteria for earning the bonus were:
- Present every day for that week and on time for work
- Prepared for work - bathing suit, staff shirt, name is written on staff shirt
- In the pool during swims
- Actively Participating with your group in activities
- No cell phone use.
- The bonus was called "Being a Mohawk Professional" and it was a session at training. The bonus was available to general counselors and assistant counselors. (Adding lifeguards for 2023). The specialty staff and group leaders were...