How vex.dev runs on AWS, Fly.io & GCP
Manage episode 344663619 series 2930339
Few genuinely need a multi-cloud setup. There is plenty of advice out there which mostly boils down to don’t do it, you will be worse off. Vex.dev is a startup that provides APIs for video and audio streaming. The hard part is real-time combined with massive scale - think hundreds of thousands of concurrent connections. They achieve this by using a combination of Fly.io, AWS and GCP. Jason Carter, founder of Vex Communications, is joining us today to talk about the multi-cloud setup that vex.dev runs.
Changelog++ members save 5 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- FireHydrant – The reliability platform for every developer. Incidents impact everyone, not just SREs. FireHydrant gives teams the tools to maintain service catalogs, respond to incidents, communicate through status pages, and learn with retrospectives. Small teams up to 10 people can get started for free with all FireHydrant features included. No credit card required to sign up. Learn more at firehydrant.com/
- Sourcegraph – Transform your code into a queryable database to create customizable visual dashboards in seconds. Sourcegraph recently launched Code Insights — now you can track what really matters to you and your team in your codebase. See how other teams are using this awesome feature at about.sourcegraph.com/code-insights
- Sentry – Working code means happy customers. That’s exactly why teams choose Sentry. From error tracking to performance monitoring, Sentry helps teams see what actually matters, resolve problems quicker, and learn continuously about their applications - from the frontend to the backend. Use the code
CHANGELOGand get the team plan free for three months.
- vex.dev - Stream your meeting, or your moon landing 💥 Demo
- HLS - HTTP Live Streaming
- Typescript SDK for working with the Vex API
- 🎬 When to Choose Rust for Your Cloud Native App - Tim McNamara - #swisscnd 2022
- Postgres WASM
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Welcome
(01:02) - Sponsor: FireHydrant
(02:21) - Intro
(05:19) - What about resilience?
(11:27) - Now THAT's a lot of CPUs
(17:41) - HLS and WebRTC
(19:08) - Bandwidth for 500K CPUs
(22:56) - Not going with a cloud provider
(25:14) - Sponsor: Sourcegraph
(27:36) - Bare-metal hosts
(32:40) - Wow, who wrote that?
(36:13) - Using Vex or building on it?
(39:35) - What do you use to run vex.dev
(41:14) - Go provides performance
(46:55) - Who is Jason?
(49:09) - Sponsor: Sentry
(49:48) - Why Vex?
(56:49) - Why Fly.io
(1:02:15) - The next 6 months
(1:04:58) - The team
(1:07:04) - Wrap up
(1:10:31) - Outro