Manage episode 346034165 series 2930340
15 years ago, Gerhard discovered magic in the form of Ruby on Rails. It was intuitive and it just worked. That is the context in which Gerhard fell in love with infrastructure and operations.
Today, for special episode 77, we start at Seven Shipping Principles, and, in the true spirit of Ship It, we’ll see what happens next.
Our guest is David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of Ruby on Rails, co-founder of Basecamp & HEY, and a lot more - check out dhh.dk.
Changelog++ members save 5 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Sourcegraph – Transform your code into a queryable database to create customizable visual dashboards in seconds. Sourcegraph recently launched Code Insights — now you can track what really matters to you and your team in your codebase. See how other teams are using this awesome feature at about.sourcegraph.com/code-insights
- Raygun – Never miss another mission-critical issue again — Raygun Alerting is now available for Crash Reporting and Real User Monitoring, to make sure you are quickly notified of the errors, crashes, and front-end performance issues that matter most to you and your business. Set thresholds for your alert based on an increase in error count, a spike in load time, or new issues introduced in the latest deployment. Start your free 14-day trial at Raygun.com
- Retool – The low-code platform for developers to build internal tools — Some of the best teams out there trust Retool…Brex, Coinbase, Plaid, Doordash, LegalGenius, Amazon, Allbirds, Peloton, and so many more – the developers at these teams trust Retool as the platform to build their internal tools. Try it free at retool.com/changelog
- 📝 Seven Shipping Principles
- 📝 Why we’re leaving the cloud
- DHH @ Le Mans 2022
- Basecamp Next’s caching hardware - Jan. 2012 - 864GB of RAM - $12k in 2012
- Gerhard’s favourite signals from the new 37signals.com
- Email’s new heyday
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Welcome
(00:57) - Sponsor: Sourcegraph
(02:40) - Intro
(03:29) - Behind the 7 shipping principles
(06:47) - David's writing style
(12:58) - Sponsor: Raygun
(15:05) - Just ship it!
(26:59) - HEY and Gmail
(33:36) - How HEY is different than Basecamp
(45:58) - Sponsor: Retool
(46:41) - From the cloud to on-prem
(49:00) - Lessons of the Cloud apply to on-prem
(51:02) - POV: You're a racecar driver
(57:47) - Wrap up
(58:01) - Outro