#238 – SAS 24GB+ Updates with Rick Kutcipal
Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on March 01, 2023 21:22 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 347291958 series 2358764
Once again Chris is joined by Rick Kutcipal, board member with the SCSI Trade Association. It’s been four years since episode #74 when Rick provided an update on SAS 24Gb. This time, Rick has details of new features in 24Gb+. What does the “plus” mean in this context? While the bus speed may not be increasing, new features (+) are continually being added to the SAS protocol, hence the additional designation.
In this episode, Rick discusses some interesting enhancements to drive management, mainly driven by the demands of hyper-scalers. These include Command Duration Limits, Format with Presets and Logical Depopulation. There are also additional features still in discussion that may yet be added in future releases.
To learn more about the work of the SCSI Trade Association, hop over to www.scsita.org, or of course, simply listen to our next podcast after Flash Memory Summit 2023.
Elapsed Time: 00:00:24:19
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:45 – How has the SCSI/SAS standard evolved?
- 00:03:00 – There’s no need (currently) to go faster than 24Gb
- 00:03:50 – What features keep SAS relevant in the market?
- 00:05:35 – Hyper-scalers are driving the use of HDDs and SAS
- 00:06:50 – What’s new in 24Gb+?
- 00:09:45 – Enterprise customers will use new features (driven by hyper-scalers)
- 00:10:15 – What is Command Duration Limits (CDL)?
- 00:11:25 – What is Format with Presets?
- 00:13:25 – What is Logical Depopulation?
- 00:17:30 – Drive failure is a part of “normal” operations
- 00:17:50 – What features are under consideration?
- 00:20:15 – How will 24Gb+ features be rolled out?
- 00:22:30 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #74 – All About Serial Attached SCSI with Rick Kutcipal
- #161 – Seagate MACH.2 Dual Actuator Drive Deep Dive
- #174 – Introduction to Zoned Storage with Phil Bullinger
Copyright (c) 2016-2022 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #fveh.