Ep. 57: Lessons learned from hyper-growth & scaling to $100M+ ARR, 100k customers and raising $100M with Tim Compton, SVP of Finance at ActiveCampaign
Manage episode 278509761 series 1490557
I chat with Tim about:
- His career journey from EY to the transition into tech including stints at Google, Groupon and Geofeedia, before taking on his current role at ActiveCampaign.
- What ActiveCampaign does and what it’s all about.
- Comparing ActiveCampaign’s hyper-growth to Groupon and what it means for the finance function. For context, ActiveCampaign crossed some impressive milestones. At the start of 2020, the company raised a $100M round from Susquehanna Growth Partners. The company has passed the $100M ARR milestone and has over 100k total customers. Tim joined the company when it was 75 employees and $17M in ARR back in 2016. Tim was part of the early days of growth at Groupon to IPO in 2011.
- The unique challenges and opportunities of serving the SMB segment of the market compared to enterprise, including the considerations you should take into account when deciding if the company should move upmarket.
- The biggest misconception about the finance function within growth-stage software companies like ActiveCampaign.
This episode is sponsored by Vena Solutions. Vena is the complete planning platform loved by finance and trusted by business. The Vena Growth engine combines the tool you already know—Excel—with the technology and experts you need to power your plan to grow. Learn more at www.venasolutions.com/backbone.--- Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/backbone/message