Manage episode 239537985 series 1635469
EPISODE 59: BUILDING A RELATIONSHIP WITH YOURSELF
Flourishing Friday (FF)-Welcome to Flourishing Fridays (FF), where every Friday we bring you a Positive Psychology-based life hack that will help you to flourish. In these episodes we look at real life application of Positive Psychology, while giving you tips and strategies to put Positive Psychology into use in all areas of your life.
In this episode Emiliya takes inspiration from the book, How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving by David Richo. She builds on last weeks Flourishing Friday and how we can turn the learning into a form of self care.
I see myself, I value myself, I accept myself, I love myself, I trust myself
When deeply understood and applied, these five simple concepts–what Richo calls the five A’s–form the basis of mature love. They help us to move away from judgment, fear, and blame to a position of openness, compassion, and realism about life and relationships. By giving and receiving these five A’s, relationships with ourselves become deeper and more meaningful, and they become a ground for personal transformation.
David Richo, offers a fresh perspective on love and relationships. Drawing on the Buddhist concept of mindfulness, in this episode Emiliya helps us explores five hallmarks of mindful loving and how they play a key role in our relationships with ourselves.
- Attention to the present moment; observing, listening, and noticing all the feelings at play in our relationships. It is important to give yourself attention. What am I thinking, feeling and needing.
- Acceptance of ourselves and others just as we are. This is about accepting where you are at in the moment.
- Appreciation of all our gifts, our limits, our longings, and our poignant human predicament. We can think about what do we value about ourselves. Basking and savouring in yourself.
- Affection shown through holding and touching in respectful ways. Being able to give yourself affection through self care, time, sleep, food.
- Allowing life and love to be just as they are, with all their ecstasy and ache, without trying to take control. This is about building trust with yourself and allowing yourself to be human.
For Full show notes & more information on what we have to offer,
visit The Flourishing Center at: www.theflourishingcenter.com