#054: Reducing Teen Suicide: The Hidden Causes
Manage episode 331257662 series 2715292
In episode 054 of The Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz, the subject at hand is the hidden causes contributing to the increasing number of teen suicides in the United States.
Marriage and family psychotherapist Mel Schwartz explains…
- There is no single cause responsible for the rise in teen suicides
- The essential elements missing in teens’ lives that may lead to despair and loss of meaning and purpose
- How a sense of connection, curiosity, wonder, and empathy can reduce depressed or anxious feelings
- The danger of over-scheduling children
- Why play and downtime are so important in developing maturity
- The difference between doing your best and being your best, and why the latter is so much healthier
- The common factors contributing to incidents of suicide across society
- How there is a strong corollary between a lack of self-esteem and suicide
- Ways to develop authentic self-esteem in children
The subject of teen suicide is a difficult one. If you would like to share your thoughts and experiences, you’re welcome to leave a comment.
Need Help Right Now?
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call any time, any day: +1-800-273-8255
Subscribe To the Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz
Don’t miss a single Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz! Subscribe for free in iTunes / Apple Podcasts, Spotify, RadioPublic, Spreaker, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Or, simply copy / paste the RSS link directly into the podcast app of your choice!
Please Rate and Review
If you enjoy The Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz, please take a moment to rate and review the show in iTunes / Apple Podcasts or Podchaser. It only takes a few minutes, and adding your review is as easy as clicking this link.
Your rating and review helps raise the visibility of The Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz, especially on iTunes / Apple Podcasts, which is one of the biggest podcasting platforms today. More visibility for the show means more listeners… and that growth means the show reaches — and helps — more people like you.
Talk With Mel!
Help others when Mel helps you: Contact Mel and find out how you can be a caller on the show and ask Mel a question. He’ll put the Possibility Principle to work for you, and your conversation will be recorded for use in a future episode of the podcast so other listeners can benefit.
The post #054: Reducing Teen Suicide: The Hidden Causes first appeared on Mel Schwartz, LCSW.