Manage episode 294146838 series 2637014
What if you could create an application and deploy it to the web with just Python? Wouldn’t it be nice to skip the additional full-stack development steps of learning three different languages in addition to Python? That’s the idea behind Anvil. This week on the show, we have Meredydd Luff, co-founder of Anvil.
We talk about the history of Anvil and how the founders wanted to simplify web app creation. We discuss their choice to make the project open source and how it benefited the project’s development. We also cover creating a portfolio of projects and things that employers look for in the hiring process.
Course Spotlight: Python’s map() Function: Transforming Iterables
In this step-by-step course, you’ll learn how Python’s map() works and how to use it effectively in your programs. You’ll also learn how to use list comprehension and generator expressions to replace map() in a Pythonic and efficient way.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:33 – What is Anvil?
- 00:03:16 – Why did you choose Python for Anvil?
- 00:06:47 – The three general groups of developers
- 00:17:04 – Sponsor: Digital Ocean’s App Platform
- 00:17:40 – What Python libraries are available to developers?
- 00:19:48 – Working with PDFs and files
- 00:22:17 – Free accounts scaling to business accounts and self hosting
- 00:24:32 – Modularity of code and user management
- 00:31:12 – High school students creating projects and starting programming
- 00:35:33 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:36:45 – What is server code vs client code?
- 00:41:35 – Designing the UI and responsive web design
- 00:48:10 – Working with APIs and modularity of code
- 00:49:47 – Building a portfolio of projects as a employment strategy
- 00:52:29 – If you were to start this project over from scratch, what would you change?
- 00:55:01 – What were the benefits to Anvil of making it open source?
- 00:57:10 – What has been your biggest challenge?
- 01:01:16 – Anvil is hiring
- 01:05:18 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 01:07:35 – What do you want to learn next?
- 01:09:54 – Thanks and goodbye
- Anvil: Full stack web apps with nothing by Python
- Anvil’s Open Source Platform
- Anvil Runtime and App Server: Github
- Full-Stack Web with Nothing But Python: A Deep Dive into Anvil” by: Meredydd Luff | YouTube
- Talk Python to Me #138: Anvil - All web, all Python
- Claris Filemaker
- Anvil: Job Openings
- Rust: A language empowering everyone to build reliable and efficient software
- PyCon 2021 Talks | YouTube
- Q&A with Guido van Rossum, Inventor of Python | YouTube