Manage episode 317940469 series 2811585
Find full show notes and links at: https://gocamp.pro/beyondcamp/mental-health-and-camp
Mental Health and Camp - the new soy butter and Jelly!
Camp professionals know that mental health is a challenge at camp but often being able to articulate just where the gaps in our knowledge are can be challenging.
Today our guest Erin Sunstrum shares with us how she identified those gaps and has taken steps in her own camping journey to help bridge those.
Tune in to this episode to hear about:
- How do you identify? What words would you use to identify yourself?
- Do you think about your privilege? What privilege do you think you carry?
- As a leader do you feel responsibility or pressure to discuss your identity? How do you cope with that?
- You are currently working at camp but also in school. what made you decide to do this?
- How did your time at camp influence your choice of program?
- Are there any lessons from camp either as a camper or staff member you carry with you now or reflect on?
- How has camp shaped how you work with young people/how you want to work with young people?
- Are you moving away from camp/how do you plan on incorporating your education into camp?
Recharge Station - Charge your batteries!
Firm & Fair Boundaries
Cassie Bloy, Consultant & Freelance Camp Director - Stephane Richard Development Consulting
Rachel Kent, Coordinator, Outdoor Experiences - Girl Guides of Canada, Ontario Council
Thanks to our sponsor:
The American Camp Association of Illinois is made up of nearly 289,000 members, volunteers, campers, families, and professionals who believe in the power of camp. We work to disrupt the effects of poverty by providing fundamental services for children and families, and learning opportunities for camp professionals. Learn more about ACA Illinois by visiting acail.org