192: How We Win the Civil War, with Steve Phillips
Manage episode 346429674 series 2785230
If you’re reading this on the day this episode comes out, this is a big, big day in America. It’s Election Day 2022, and we don’t think it’s an understatement to say that this is the most important election that those of us who have the privilege to vote in will be voting in - because this election may determine if you or I even get to be able to vote in the next election. So, if you’re reading this and have not yet voted today - stop reading, and please, please go vote. We need everyone’s voice in these elections, as the alternative may be that our voices no longer matter. And now onto some hope…
This is the first time that we’ve had hope in a long, long time, thanks to the book How We Win The Civil War. In today’s conversation with author Steve Phillips, we’re going to discuss the idea that the Civil War never really ended (yup, get ready…) - and also how we can finally win it, with some very concrete ideas and action items for us all at the end of this episode. This may be the episode you need to hear today, on election day, or tomorrow (and every day past that point), when we need to keep fighting, for all of us.
What to listen for:
- The fully thought-out case for why the Civil War never really ended - with excellent examples from history
- How we win the civil war - by investing in level 5 leaders, building strong civic engagement organizations, developing detailed data-driven plans, and playing the long game
- That we need to lead by winning the political battles, to eventually influence individual hearts & minds toward equity
- So much about the long game… oh we need to reframe our work, folks!
- What Steve thinks would be most impactful for White people to focus on speaking up about and doing
- Which organizations and people we should be supporting to make positive change
About Steve: Steve Phillips is a New York Times bestselling author, columnist, and leading national political thought leader. He is the author of the New York Times and Washington Post bestselling Brown Is the New White: How the Demographic Revolution Has Created a New American Majority. He is also the founder of Democracy in Color, a political media organization dedicated to race, politics, and the multicultural progressive New American Majority. Phillips is the host of “Democracy in Color with Steve Phillips,” a color-conscious podcast on politics. He is a regular columnist for The Nation and The Guardian. His new book, How We Win the Civil War, is due out on October 18, 2022. For more information, please visit: stevephillips.com