S2E2 - Zahra Lari: UAE & MENA’s First International Competitive Figure Skater
Manage episode 329380087 series 3353651
Zahra Lari is the UAE and MENA region’s first international competitive figure skater and five time UAE National Champion; as well as being the first to do so while wearing the hijab. While she began skating at the late age of 12 years old, Zahra has beaten the odds and has achieved the highest level in spins, technique and triple jumps.
Zahra is registered and certified in the UAE National Records for her achievements in serving the Society and the State. She is the main representative that has changed the judging guidelines within the International Skating Union with regards to the acceptance of female skaters competing with the hijab and not receiving score deductions, as well as being recognized by the ISU for her achievements in bringing the UAE and this region onto the international stage for this sport.
Zahra is also Etihad’s official training partner and ambassador.
- Appointed to serve on the Athlete's Engagement Committee for the Special Olympics 2019
- Youth Expo 2019 keynote speaker
- Awarded by Her Excellency Reem Al Hashimi,
- Torch bearer for the 2018 MENA Special Olympics
- Key role in the Nike Pro-Hijab and the Nike “what will they say about you” campaigns
- Honored participant in the Olympics 2018 P&G “Thank you Mom” campaign
- 2017 Arab Women's Award
- UNICEF “Voices of Youth” feature
- Mubadala Youth Forum representative
Follow the podcast on social media on LinkedIn at Inspiring UAE Women Podcast, Instagram @iuaewpodcast, Facebook at Inspiring UAE Women podcast, and Tiktok at inspiringuaewomenpodcast
You can also subscribe to the YouTube channel at Inspiring UAE Women Podcast. (https://linktr.ee/inspiringuaewomen)
Connect with the host Ameera on LinkedIn at Ameera Khalid ACCA or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org