Manage episode 300734009 series 2137790
We compare the U.S. dollar with Bitcoin on their key attributes to determine which is better for transactions and preserving wealth, which is most absurd and which has serious flaws.
Topics covered include:
- How are new U.S. Dollars and Bitcoin created
- How much has the supply of each currency grown
- How both the dollar and Bitcoin have had rule changes
- Why Bitcoin transactions are faster than non-cash U.S. dollar transactions
- Why both the dollar and Bitcoin require add-on layers to facilitate transactions
- How tax treatment of a currency can encourage or discourage its use for payments
- Why divisibility is a critical attribute of any currency
- Why Bitcoin has been as volatile as the Russian ruble
- Why Bitcoin is energy inefficient while having built-in incentives to use renewable energy
- What will determine the long-term viability of Bitcoin and the U.S. dollar
For more information on this episode click here.