Manage episode 294961634 series 2447496
Episode Type: Special Edition
Welcome to another special edition of the Share Life podcast. This episode continues my special edition series, as part of the discovery process for my next book project, From The Garden to the Cross: How Jesus' Harrowing Mission Shows Us The Way Forward.
In this discussion episode, part 5, we're reflecting on the death of Judas after he returns the betrayal money. This event follows Peter's Denial of Jesus while Jesus is being interrogated by the religious leaders after Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested, and hours after Jesus' agonizing moment of prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.
In this conversation, we jump into the passage about Judas returning the money to the religious leaders, the ending of his life, and his legacy. We'll read and discuss my harmonization of the story from the different accounts of Jesus' life with quotes from the New Living Translation of the Bible. Then, we'll explore the story through the following questions: What we can learn about Jesus, humanity, and ourselves from this monumental moment in time? How does this event apply to our lives today?
For those just now following along, Judas' death takes place after Judas betrayed Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane with a kiss and after he was paid 30 pieces of silver for his actions.
Some of the highlights from our discussion include:
- How often we use Jesus as a pawn in our pursuit of power and control and the messiness of grace.
- The complexity of Judas and how often we emphasize the simplicity to villainize Judas and separate ourselves from the possibility of relating to or ending up like him.
Fellow Conversation Participants
In this episode, I'm joined by David, Ashley, and Talitha.
- Ashley Christine Williams is a wife, a mother to four, pursuer of truth, avid reader, political enthusiast, and an elementary school teacher. Follow her on Twitter.
- David Cline is in relational-oriented supply chain leadership guiding businesses on how to remove operational friction while also growing supplier value. Visit David's website, For Influence, or connect with him on Linkedin or Twitter.
- Talitha James Minton is a book-lover, writer, learner, creator, wife, and mother with an educational background in classical culture and religious studies. Connect with Talitha on Twitter.
I'm grateful for their participation in this episode and for helping to make the book better.
For the Biblical excerpt and the video version of this discussion, visit the following URL: https://www.jasonscottmontoya.com/personal/faith/570-judas-death-money--- Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/sharelife/support