Manage episode 255999469 series 52378
This episode is an exploration of glial cells with R Douglas Fields, author of "The Other Brain: The Scientific and Medical Breakthroughs That Will Heal Our Brains and Revolutionize Our Health." Glial Cells outnumber the neurons in our nervous system, but until the last few years they were thought to merely support cells. Dr. Fields takes us through the discovery that they have their own signaling methods and are much more important than we ever imagined.
This interview first aired in 2010, but Dr. Fields reviewed the original transcript and made no significant corrections. What was once controversial is now mainstream. I recorded a new introduction and summary and I have included some more recent references below.
Links and References:
- The Other Brain: The Scientific and Medical Breakthroughs That Will Heal Our Brains and Revolutionize Our Health by R. Douglas Fields
- Fields, R.D., Bukalo, O. Myelin makes memories. Nat Neurosci(2020).https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-020-0606-x
- Fields, R.D., The Brain Learns in Unexpected Ways. Scientific American, March 2020.
- See the episode transcript at http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additional links and references.
Please Support Brain Science:
- Learn more at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- The second, expanded edition of Dr. Campbell's book Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty, will be released on April 28, 2020. Please mark your calendar!
- Brain Science comes out on the 2nd and 4th Friday each month.
- To win an Amazon gift certificate: post a review of Brain Science in iTunes and send me a screenshot.
- Sign up for the free Brain Science Newsletter to get show notes automatically every month.
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
- Send email to email@example.com or post voice feedback at http://speakpipe.com/docartemis.
Connect on Social Media:
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voicemail: http://speakpipe.com/docartemis