S3 E4: Expanding Autism
Manage episode 342871591 series 2883765
Aisha and Kaila expand on the discussion about neurodivergence begun in episode 3. We discuss neurodivergent diagnosis, affirmation, trauma healing, disability justice and cultural inclusion. Aisha also intimately explores the impact of autism in xer own family.
- Kaila and Aisha give a life update
- Aisha gives more information about the DSM diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder and how it differs for AFAB, gender variant and BIPOC folks
- Aisha gives information about the Spectrum Circle as a affirming diagnostic tool
- What is masking? How does it relate to belonging and trauma?
- Why it is important to differentiate between trauma and neurodivergence
- Interaction of perfectionism, social justice and neurodivergence and non-inclusion in movement spaces
- Aisha and Kaila discuss the article Neurodivergence is Dead, Now What? They explore lack of inclusion on the neurodiversity movement
- Aisha talks about the ADDRESSING model to explore intersectional identity and exploring marginal vs privileged identities
- Aisha talks about xer brother’s battle with autism
- Aisha shares references for people questioning if they are on the spectrum
ELC Patreon Page
- Aisha Edwards
Amy Richards and the SquarePeg Podcast
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
Twilah Hiari Article - Neurodiversity is Dead, Now What?
Aisha’s Emergence Community Coaching Space
Autastic Online Community for later in life diagnosed folks on the Spectrum
Dr. Nick Walker - Neurodivergent Somatic Experiencing Provider