Episode 84: What Does Catholic Anthropology Even Mean? w/ Dr. Bryan Violette (Certification Series: Part 1 of 12)
Manage episode 335486277 series 2869262
Welcome to Episode 84 of the Being Human Podcast: What Does Catholic Anthropology Even Mean? w/ Dr. Bryan Violette (Certification Series: Part 1 of 12)
Dr. Greg frequently refers to the importance of grounding our understanding of psychology in a Catholic anthropology. But what exactly does that term mean? And why is it a necessary foundation for the study of psychology?
In this episode - the first of a 12-part series geared towards introducing each course of our new certification - Dr. Greg welcomes Dr. Bryan Violette back to the show to unpack these questions and more!
Discussed in this episode:
- Defining Catholic anthropology and how it can help us understand what it means to be human;
- The way experiences in our family of origin impact our psychological development;
- Pope St. John Paul II’s personalism as an integration of phenomenology (a contemporary philosophy which emphasizes subjective experience) into objective Thomistic thought;
- Differences between Thomistic philosophy and Pope St. John Paul II’s personalism;
- Catholic anthropology as an essential foundation to working and walking with people in an authentically Catholic way;
- The role the unconscious plays in our thoughts and patterns of behavior;
- The first step of the commandment to love according to Pope St. John Paul II;
- The weight of responsibility carried by mental health professionals and the need for proper preparation, training, and personal development to provide ethical care.
Resources mentioned or relevant:
- Register for our free Open House to learn more about the new certification!
- Watch What is Theology of the Body? presented by Christopher West
- Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West
- Love and Responsibility by Karol Wojtyla (Pope St. John Paul II)
- Greatest Love of All - Whitney Houston song referenced by Dr. Bryan;
- Sign up for Being Human, our weekly newsletter, to stay up to date on the exciting developments at CatholicPsych;
- Learn about IDDM (Mentorship), our model of accompaniment;
- Need help? Schedule a free 15-minute consultation call with our staff to discuss how we can support you!
- Become a member of the Integrated Life Community to get access to every course Dr. Greg has created, AND the opportunity to participate in Integrated Life Intensives: time-limited, group experiences covering topics like boundaries, communication, trauma, forgiveness, and more!
- Download The Integrated App for access to free audio exercises, the Catholic Mindfulness Virtual Retreat, courses, prayer resources, and more;
- Visit our website to read the CatholicPsych blog, shop in the CatholicPsych bookshop, or discover other resources we have available.
Contact us! Have a topic or a question you would like Dr. Greg to address on the podcast? Want to give some feedback about this episode? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org - we would love to hear from you!
Rate, review, and subscribe
Please help us in our mission to integrate the Faith with Psychology by hitting subscribe and also sharing this podcast with your friends.
Please consider rating or leaving a review of our show. It helps us reach other Catholics just like you who want to become more integrated, whole, and happy human beings.
For Apple podcasts, click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate 5 stars, and choose “write a review.” Then type your sincere thoughts about the show!
If you haven’t already, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on any episodes. Subscribe to the podcast now!