What Everyone Should Know About Thanksgiving — History, Origin & Secret Truths with Melanie Kirkpatrick
Manage episode 307538002 series 2394109
If you’ve ever wondered whether there’s more to thanksgiving than turkeys, shopping and football, then do we have the Thanksgiving Show for you!
Today I’ll be talking with Melanie Kirkpatrick, a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute, former deputy editor of the Wall Street Journal’s editorial page, and the award-winning author of Escape from North Korea, and her latest Thanksgiving.
That is just what I want to talk with her about today, what’s the true holiday at the heart of the American Experience.
That plus we’ll talk about Franksgiving, Unthanksgiving, Mary had a little lamb, why pumpkin pie’s a myth, why no one landed at Plymouth rock, and why in the world a writer in Hong Kong, might think thanksgiving is Independence Day,
Thanksgiving Self-Improvement & Self-Help Topics Include:
- What’s the worst turkey sound ever?
- Why a book on Thanksgiving?
- What happened in Newcomer’s High in Queens?
- What happened in 1621 to the Mayflower expedition?
- Why Plymouth Rock was a myth
- What happened during the first winter?
- What were the gratitude practices of people from the Mayflower?
- What was the first thanksgiving like?
- What was the miracle of Squanto’s life experiences?
- What was the original significance of Thanksgiving
- What’s the history of thanksgiving and Native Americans
- What happened at Alcatraz?
- Who else claimed to have the first thanksgiving dinner?
- What did George Washing do for Thanksgiving?
- Why Lincoln had two Thanksgivings in one year?
- Where did Mary Had a Little Lamb come from?
- Who was the Godmother of Thanksgiving?
- Who was Sarah Josepha Hale?
- How did football and thanksgiving come together?
- What’s Franksgiving and what happened in 1939?
- What’s the connection between Thanksgiving and generosity?
- What’s the history of giving and Washington and Thanksgiving?
- What does over-eating have to do with thanksgiving?
- What pie wasn’t at the first thanksgiving dinner?
- When did Turkey’s get connected with Thanksgiving
- What does succotash have to do with thanksgiving?
- What’s the practice of five kernels of corn?
- Illustrated by Artist Kathryn Messenger on the book :o)
To find out more visit:
- https://amzn.to/3qULECz - Order Michael Sandler's new book, "AWE, the Automatic Writing Experience"
Follow Michael and Jessica’s exciting journey and get even more great tools, tips, and behind-the-scenes access. Go to https://www.patreon.com/inspirenation
For free meditations, weekly tips, stories, and similar shows visit: https://inspirenationshow.com/
We’ve got NEW Merch! - https://teespring.com/stores/inspire-nation-store
Follow Inspire Nation, and the lives of Michael and Jessica, on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/InspireNationLive/
Find us on TikTok - https://www.tiktok.com/@inspirenationshow